Second Week - Focus 52 - Connect

The word of the week was connect. I tried to find connections in different places, sometimes with success, other times not at all.
I picked three pictures again this week that I liked. This week was a weird one in terms of opportunities to take good pictures. I followed through with my 365 but I will admit, this wasn't the best week for pictures. HOWEVER, I did get a new phone that has a decent camera in it, so I took the opportunity to play with the camera in different ways and at different times - some of my pictures that I like the most were taken by the phone camera.

Trees

This picture was one I took last weekend on a walk with my family. The connection here is between the joy of family, the beauty of nature, the starkness of the trees - but how they all stand together. That's a family - joy, beauty, individuals together to create a united front.

Snow (175)

This was a snow day that wasn't a snow day. This was the view from our school windows half way through the day. A lot of snow fell - enough that we finally could go sliding this weekend. This day we got home and found that we couldn't get into the driveway - it was completely blocked with snow. We went in the house to get ready to shovel and when we came out a few minutes later our neighbour was snow blowing our driveway. We cleaned up our driveway and then helped out another neighbour. The snow connected us all - made us help each other and come together. At the end of the shovelling, our snow blowing neighbour came over and we were all able to talk about how we were all going in to supper. We don't normally talk but that night the snow banded us together- connected us - and made us friends for that short time.

Finally,
Spinning wheel of fortune (2/52)

This is the one I've chosen as my focus 52. It's a spinning wheel for a game of some sort. I found it when I went into the back room during karate class - my lungs were acting up and I had to take my inhaler. When I went back there, there it was - the big, colourful wheel. I took a picture of it with my phone - I thought that the Polaroid effect would be neat for this wheel. This wheel would be used for a community event - a raffle of some sort or a fund raiser. Not something I would normally go to in the community. However, I do go to karate in that the hall - until then I had only been there to vote. Seeing this wheel reminded me that I'm connecting with the community in ways I never thought I would - spending three and four hours a week in the hall. I'm seeing things like posters for events I'd never heard of, commiserating with other karate adults about the dirt on the floor and finding out that darts had been the night before, having cancelled classes when other events were booked before classes. Perhaps it seems a tenuous connection - this wheel representing all of this. But, even though I don't plan to do much more in the community, going to karate in the hall gives me a view of it that I never had before. And, from a photo side, I loved the colours of the wheel.

And that's it - making connections from making connections.

This week for everyone is here